March 1, 2012
Coaching conscious leaders
It takes an aware and bold leader to continue to step into areas of discomfort as they stretch themselves in the name of personal & professional development. They know already the link between self development and higher results – and they make conscious decisions to commit the time and effort to the ongoing refinement of thoughts, words, actions, skills.
Most leaders I’ve worked with are:
- Clear thinkers – the conversations they’re having in the moment have a ‘how is this contributing to the biggest future’ slant on them
- Resilient – they don’t take knock-backs personally. They learn, adjust, get up and approach again from a different angle
- Risk takers – the next steps are calculated and when the key people are in the position they’re going
Beyond this awareness are servant leaders who in addition:
- Engage their heart – they consider the individuals, they go beyond ‘biggest future’ to ‘legacy’
- Emit authenticity – they’re healthy, disciplined, inspired and conscious that ‘all of it’ (people, attitude, ethos, standards, respect …) contributes to ultimate success and results
- Live accountably – there’s no blaming; just the highest personal standards of clarity, impeccable speech & motivation and they ‘be the change they want to see’
In a recent conversation I heard this: ‘most of the adults I work with use the same emotional strategies they were using in their teens’. Thankfully that’s not my own experience with my clients, but I get what he meant in saying that.
If you take 100% responsibility for evolving into the sort of person who can be, do, have and achieve the things you dream about, you can experience the freedom that goes with it; because then everything’s something you can do something about.
Coaching conscious leadership is tough head, heart & soul work. Persistence in strengthening those skill-sets though brings with it unparalleled results, extraordinary rewards and individuals who literally become beacons in their lifetime.